BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday 16 October 2009

Analysis of Practical task.

I think that one of the main thriller conventions that our piece highlights is the idea of dramatic irony because although the viewer knows that there is someone waiting to attack the school the people in the school are completely oblivious to this fact and we see them carrying on with their everyday life e.g. washing the dishes and typing at a computer. I think that we have done this successfully to a degree; however I think that if we were to improve the film then we would have to find someway of making it clearer to the audience that the people who are doing the everyday things are. I think one way we could have done this would have been showing a shot of the front of the school to establish where we are.

One of the most successful factors of this piece is the fact that we have already established antagonists, with the terrorists attacking the school. I think we have done this well because we have used two clips of them showing them attacking the school, already portraying them as villains. We have not really found our protagonist in the piece yet, however you could suggest that the newsreader is a hero in his way as he is trying to warn the school about the danger they face. It is typical of a horror film to have an antagonist and protagonist.

The main social group that is represented in our short film is terrorists, as they are the people shown to be breaking into the school using threatening behaviour. Another social group that we have represented in this piece is college students, which we have done by showing them working. I think that we have presented these social groups well however I think that the representation of the teenagers could have been stronger if we would have shown them in larger crowds and would have shown them being completely oblivious to the fact that they are being attacked. I think that this would have improved the film as it would have helped increase the dramatic irony.

The media institutions that would distribute our media product would probably be Constantin Studios or Universal studios as these are the two studios most well know for realising horror films.

I think that the audience that are most likely to go and watch our film would be teenagers and young adults as they are the age group which is represented in our film and this is also the age group that are most likely to go and watch a horror film. I think that we have attracted our audience by using characters that are there same age, showing that they are the same age as the audience, meaning the audience can relate to these characters.

The technologies that I have learnt through making this film is how to layer sound over the top of different clips (as we have done with the newsreaders voiceover) and I have learnt how important it is to get the right lighting in a scene. I think that from this task I have found out the importance of the right lighting in a scene. For example the lighting needs to be improved in the newsreaders clip and also I would like it to be darker when the protagonists are running into the school. I think that if the lighting had been darker then the weather would have matched the mood of the film and would have made the piece fell more sinister.

Overall I think that in this film I have learnt about the importance of lighting. One of the other benefits of doing this task was that I learnt how to use the software better, meaning that when it comes to creating my main film I will be fully equipped with the skills I need to make my film as successful as it can be.

0 comments: